Three School of Environmental and Forest Science students have been named to the 2020 Husky 100 list!

Congratulations to Autumn Forespring, an ESRM and American Indian Studies student, Sierra Red Bow, an ESRM and American Indian Studies student, and Olivia Sanderfoot, a Ph.D. student at SEFS.

Each year, the Husky 100 recognizes 100 UW undergraduate and graduate students from Bothell, Seattle and Tacoma in all areas of study who are making the most of their time at the UW. In honor of their many contributions to the University of Washington, each member of the Husky 100 is eligible to receive exciting benefits, and to participate in a range of activities and opportunities offered by our on- and off-campus partners. View the entire 2020 Husky 100 list here.

Autumn Forespring

Forespring, of Centralia, Washington, intends to pursue a career in wilderness therapy after graduation.

“The community I have found here is my reason for persevering in this exclusionary and inherently colonial institution,” she said. “I owe my ambitions and successes to my colleagues in First Nations at the University of Washington; the ever-present faculty and staff of the American Indian Studies and Environmental Studies departments, the Office of Minority Affairs and Diversity, and the wǝɫǝbʔaltxʷ – Intellectual House; and my family.”

Sierra Red Bow

Red Bow, of Virginia Beach, Virginia, is double majoring in American Indian Studies and Environmental Science & Resource Management:

“Háŋ mitákuyepi. Pheži Ĥóta Naĝí-wiŋ emáčiyapi kštó. My English name is Sierra Red Bow. I am an Oglála Lakȟóta student double majoring in American Indian Studies and Environmental Science & Resource Management. As an Urban Native, my time at UW has allowed me to deepen my sense of community while revitalizing my culture and language. I look forward to sharing my Indigenous knowledge with others to empower the next generation to care for the environment with respect and reciprocity.”

Olivia Sanderfoot

Sanderfoot, originally from Madison, Wisconsin, focuses her Ph.D. work on birds.

“I am proud to play a critical role in launching a novel research program to study the impacts of smoke and air pollutants on wildlife,” she said. “After graduation, I hope to pursue a career in which I can leverage my expertise, communication skills, and passion for wildlife conservation to fight for policies to improve the lives of birds and people.”